i was in my ‘contemporary writing by women class’ and we were reading adrienne rich. that’s all fine and dandy and fun. but somehow i started thinking about trans history and how i can’t really track down my resilient-as-fuck transcestors.
i mean, i can sort of, because leslie feinberg wrote “transgender warriors”. my friend owns it and will lend it to me tomorrow. can i say that i’m really glad that this friend owns that book? i would be way furious and sad if i had to ask a cis friend for a book on my history. but it’s not like there is a fantastic abundance of books such as these.
there’s also “stone butch blues” and “the well of loneliness” (but that might not be about transness and could be about being a butch woman).
and i was like, gee, i am in a contemporary writing by women class and there are no trans lady writers?! what the fuck? so i am gonna talk to the prof when i calm down a bit. i tried to think of non-gender-theorist trans lady writers. the only book i could think of was julie ann peters who wrote the YA fiction “luna”, but i am not sure if this author is trans.
basically, all i am saying is that i am fucking sad and angry that trans people have been erased from history.
(granted, i am speaking from my limited knowledge of north american, british, and european history. maybe there is a treasure trove somewhere! i dunno! if you know of any, let me know!)
also, obviously to remedy these things, i am gonna grow up and be a bad ass transsexual writer who writes fiction about trans people, okay? okay.
(i write non-fiction about trans* people here.)
- muffinsandcouture likes this
- revolucion-en-la-cama likes this
- mynameisderrick reblogged this from anarchowario and added:
- franzmo said: “Transgender History” by Susan Stryker attempts to fill and talk about the void. i read it a couple of years ago, but i remember it being good!
- cosmicautogenesis likes this
- matthewbernal likes this
- anarchowario reblogged this from inkstainedqueer and added:
- hungrytwins likes this
- inkstainedknitter likes this
- inkstainedqueer posted this